Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Budget Smudge-It

MAN! Budgeting is super difficult! I know this is the part where I'm supposed to say that I've got it all figured out and it's a whiz, err...but I can't say that friends. It's tough! And I feel as though I seriously have been trying to keep an eye on what I spend.

A good friend who also listens to Dave Ramsey told me to try the envelope system in order to track my spending in categories such as gas, groceries, and the blow category. This also proves to be a difficult task, as I hate carrying cash. I'm always afraid someone is going to knock me upside the head and take everything I've got. I think I get that from my mother, once my alma mater played in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans and my mom had a brand new purse (that she discovered didn't have a money compartment, her words, not mine) so she proceeds to walk down Bourbon Street with her purse clutched so tightly under her arm that she ended up pinching a nerve in her shoulder/neck area and had to go to the doctor for medicine once we got home! So...needless to say, I earned my angst over cash honestly.

Anyway...back to the matter at hand, budgeting. It's so difficult...I know I'm whining, but it's my blog, so I can do that. I can play my "Princess Power" as boyfriend calls it. The one thing I have managed to notice is that when I automatically put money away for saving, it's done. And I don't go back and remove it. Period. So, my retirement (prior to this economic meltdown) is well on it's way to prosperity. As well as my high yield savings account. Those babies are in tact! And I suppose, that's truly what matters the most. All of my bills are paid, and on time. I just have to get this credit card outta here (for, hmm...the 3rd time in my life). So I suppose I'm in a great place, just not totally where I'd like to be. But I guess that's what goals are for.

The bottom line is even if I don't have money to shop every month or spend money on trivial things, I always save for retirement and just in general. Because as Mr. Bach says, it's automatic, and that makes it easy. Now if I could only lock myself into this budget thing...I know I can get the hang of it. Maybe I'll set a goal that by the end of the year (approx. 3 months), I'll be budgeting on a monthly basis and meaning it. Yes, that sounds reasonable...enter the "Budget Challenge." See next post...

No comments: