Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is the Library Really a Thing of the Past?


While watching Sex And The City: The Movie this weekend, I realized that Mr. Big teased Carrie for having a library book to which she replied that she liked the way they smelled. And my mind quickly recalled the old library book that was in my room on my dresser. I'm not sure how that thing smelled, but from the looks of it, I wasn't going to find out either.

I've been going to the library since I was very young. And while I abandoned it during college due to schoolwork, I returned after graduation. For a while, I did buy books, but what happens if you don't really like it or don't plan on rereading it? Then you've wasted your money most likely. I mean you could post them on Amazon or sell them for half price on Ebay or one of those book stores, but most likely, you'll do absolutely nothing with it. It'll sit and collect dust. Which is why I am a strong advocate for the public library! Yes...some of the books are dirty looking like someone ate Cheetos while reading, but majority are clean, and it's FREE! F-R-E-E! Yep! Courtesy of hmm.....taxes I'd propose. And you can have this service too for just a mere flash of your license and filling out an application. They even have audio books and you can go online and reserve books without driving out to the library, they'll email or call you when they're ready to be picked up! Fantastic library!!! And best of all....you save that $15-20 you'd pay for a book at Borders or Barnes and Noble. Just a thought...

No comments: