Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Some Ways I Save

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best saver there is, but I do tend to have a few money saving habits that are ingrained in my being. So with all of this economic fallout going on around us, I figured I'd post something positive...to cheer myself up mainly, but that's beside the point.
  • I participate in a commuter benefits program that takes money out of my check pre-tax for my metro trips. If you ride the metro everyday to work, which I do, this saves you about $300-400 per year. And that's just for my fare.
  • I automatically have my company deposit money into a separate high interest savings account every check. I don't see it, I don't touch it...simple as that.
  • Instead of buying coffee at work everyday, I have a thermos that I fill up at home before I leave, and I drink it once I get to work. That saves me about $500 a year.
  • I contribute to my TSP (my equivalent of a 401K) with pre-tax dollars, so that lowers my net income, hence less taxes.
  • I try to make a list (at least mentally) of what I plan to eat for the entire week before going to the grocery store, thus eliminating or lowering impulse purchases.
  • I stretch my eyebrows between waxings by touching them up with a razor and using eyebrow gel so I don't have to get them done as frequently. I look a little rough, but not too bad. And if I have something to do, I get them done. Otherwise, I stretch time between appointments.
  • I paint my own toenails, unless I have something important...I can paint them just fine. No thanks to paying Mr. Salon $10-$12 to paint them. I can bend down and do it just fine myself!
  • I shop for shoes on Amazon (they seriously rock) and they have free shipping! Plus a lot of time they run specials and you can get 20% off on top of the sale price. I'm not kidding, Amazon seriously rocks.
  • I only buy things when I have a coupon or offer...and then it's something that I've been watching for a while. It takes some self discipline, but it's usually worth it. I don't always do this, because if I love it, I get it most of the time. But how often do you geniunely love something? That's what I thought.
  • I decide what's important to me and only spend money on it...whatever it is. Meaning going out to eat may not be as important to me as having a nice pair of flat knee boots, so I'll slash my dining out budget in order to accomplish. Eating out is one of those things I can live without, I'd rather have clothes that I can wear again and again. And as my dear mother says "Why should I go out and pay money for food that's going to be flushed down the toilet the next day? No thank you! I'd rather spend my money on things that will last." So I guess I've inherited that mentality.
That's all I've got for now...but when I think of more, I'll add them.

What are some ways you save money?

2 comments:

E. "Bluntastic" Pizzler, the Fourth said...

Hmmm - I'm not so sure how I save?
I guess with my home based business - I save on the amount of money I pay uncle sam!

and I put money in my 401(k)
and I try try try to buy more groceries and cook vs. eating out.

and I don't shop...I put myself on punishment and only shop when I REALLY need stuff - so far, it's been working :)

That's about all :)

PYT said...

Ahh you're right! A home based business!!! How could I omit that oh so important tidbit!