Monday, August 11, 2008

Boyfriend's Birthday!!!

Was ABSOLUTELY fabulous! I don't think the night could have gone any better. My outfit was fabulous as well I must say, thanks to my fashion team (wink, wink). Although I had to drive 50 miles to get the shoes, they were definitely worth it and accomplished the look I was going for. I loved it, he loved it, the girls loved it...that's all that matters. It was a great night and I didn't have to spend an outlandish amount of money on my outfit, although I did look like a million bucks (hehe). My outfit came in under $200 and considering that the dresses I was looking at before were, err...$178 without tax or shoes, I feel proud. Maybe I should post my outfit...I mean, I was proud kids, real proud. LOL. Okay...that's enough about that. My outfit was under budget, so that's the point.

Now back to the grind, or death as I like to call it, the budget! What's a reasonable amount to spend on food per week. For single people eating out is almost the same, if you eat fast food & carryout. I'm not very good at planning meals for myself. My pantry is full of food that I buy because I call myself planning & then don't eat. So I need to learn how to plan for the week & stick to it. Boyfriend suggested only buying one week at a time that way I don't get too bored, but even that's hard for me. So I'll be going to the grocery store today, hoping I can get this right. What's a reasonable amount to budget for groceries & eating out anyway? Considering that I eat a large breakfast, usually enjoy coffee or tea because I'm either drowsy or freezing at work, a large lunch, and then a snackish dinner. I'm not a big evening eater, I did train myself on that when I first started working. And it's worked, except if I can't eat within 2 hours of waking up, I'm NOT a happy camper! Other than that, it's a good habit I suppose that way I do all of my heavy eating while I'm the busiest at work. Although I've read that it doesn't matter, but I would think it does...I mean if I eat a bunch and walk all over DC then that's better than eating a bunch and sitting on my tail bone. So there! All you critics. Back to grocery budget...I'm going to try to do this thing with $50...yeah $50! For TWO WEEKS! CHALLENGGGGGE! For those kids out there who grew up watching Cosby like I did.

Okay, so I'm going to go the grocery store today and take $25 cash. That's it. Cash, once it's gone, it's gone. That way I'll be forced to think twice about whatever I pick up. $25 for Tues-Mon groceries. Eggs will definitely be on my list because they're cheap, and fill you up, and they have protein and a lot of other things as well, haha. Hmm, what else...Maybe some sushi (my guilty pleasure). I'm steering clear of red velvet cake, although I absolutely love it. Wait, I can't do sushi...not on a $25 budget. Good grief! I'm taking this offline, I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

E. "Bluntastic" Pizzler, the Fourth said...

are you crazy?!? $50 - what skinny minnie! I know you are small and all, but you are going to starve! LOL. I was at the Teet tonight and I spent $70 (and my sister spent $70 too)!! We meant it for our groceries. You gotta tell me if you got it done :)

oh yeah - and you did you FABULOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

Randomly found your post while googling " outfit for boyfriend's birthday"...but as for groceries at $50 for two weeks - it can be done, I do it every week.

Some tips:
Buy frozen veggies instead of fresh - they are cheaper and if you don't use it all, you can put the rest back in the freezer instead of the trash!

Buy lots of sauces (barbecue, sweet & sour, etc) - I stir fry chicken breast with just a little salt and pepper, then each day I re-heat a serving with a different sauce and some type of [frozen :) ] veggies.

Never go to the grocery store without a list and only buy what's on the list - unless of course, you find a staple pantry item that is on sale for a great price, then it makes sense to spend a few extra bucks and stock up.

Good luck