Wednesday, August 6, 2008

TSP Contributions

Okay, I'm slightly annoying because I can't find ANYWHERE on our company website how much they contribute to our TSP. Isn't that annoying? And I can't look on the TSP website because that's for all government agencies, and I'm assuming they have different policies about their contributions. Not to mention, that it's just not really advanced. Oh government...how I love thee.

Anyway, so back in October '07 I got promoted and at the time I was contributing 10% of my gross pay tax free to my TSP. Well, I believe my company matches 3% dollar for dollar and then $0.50 on the dollar after that up to 5%. I'm going back over my TSP statements and I just can't tell...at the time I was contributing 10%, they added 4% and the automatic 1% so 5%. Then when I changed it back to 5%, they still matched 4% plus the automatic 1%, although I thought it was fifty cents on the dollar, so it should've been 4%...unless they take the most they can give you and give it to you....I'm confused and I'm sure I'm confusing you.

So...I had this bright idea to scale my TSP contributions back down to 5% and pay the additional money on my car in order to speed up the payoff. BOY, was I wrong!!! I have NOT paid anything extra on my car since I did that. In fact, I think I just jumped off the DR train all together, but never fear...I'm BACK!! So, my question is do I move my contribution back up to 10% or leave it at 5% and commit to paying the additional money on my car? Of course, upon paying off my car I'd move the contribution back up, perhaps even higher...who knows. But at this point...what's your advice? 5% and extra to the car loan or 10%? Either way I get the same measly 5% from my employer, but it's free, so I'm taking!